Thursday, September 28, 2006

More About University of Phoenix Part 1- Time Management in the Real World

I write now and again on the subject of time management. This week really threw me for a real world loop involving all kinds of time management and priorities. I wanted to write more about the University of Phoenix, but I don't feel like I can do it without filling in some other details leading me to this blog entry. When I first went looking for information on the subject, I really couldn't find many independent blogs and web pages with opinions on the school, so maybe I can contribute somewhat to the world of information.

I'm in the 4th week of a class called SQL For Business. UOP classes are 5 weeks long and can be fairly intense. I've had some classes that were easier, and other classes that had me running up until the last minute. This one, I've managed to stay ahead somehow, but I have really worked at it.

I used to be able to get some work done on Sundays. I don't have near as much time anymore, because my church started up small groups and my wife and I are leading one. We're very happy about that. I spent Monday reading most of my material for the week as I got time at work. It's tough to get evenings for class because I do need to spend time with my kids. Tuesday I was supporting a test, and I wasn't at my desk. I was hoping to get my work done Wednesday, but my oldest didn't sleep well and I stayed home so my wife could get some sleep. Today I ended up working late, hoping I could get my work done for school. I had a staff meeting, a company brief by a VP, and I also had to swing by the car dealer to pick up my registration and then to the inspection facility to get my car inspected. At least I passed. Normally I fail the first time and I have to take my car back. Anyway, tomorrow is out because I have another system test and Saturday I have a hiking/camping trip to go on.


To put it lightly, I really had to work to prioritize this week. Obviously, the camping trip is a goal I am shooting for, and the two tests I'm supporting are important because I'm trying to work my way into another position. There was nothing I could have done yesterday, because my wife and children are very important to me and staying home with them was the right thing to do, as I was able. And so, I had to sort through all of the things I should do and all of the things I wanted to do and either delete of put off quite a bit. Actually, when you're really pressed for time, it's amazing how many things on your schedule turn out to not really matter in the long run.

No comments: