Thursday, April 17, 2008

It's A Beautiful Day In Philly

If your laptop has to die and force you to spend all day working on an RMA and a temporary laptop, what better day could it be? It's bright, sunny, and in the 80's.

I came into work this morning to find my laptop dead. It was inside of New Egg's 30 day return policy. My supervisor had a hard drive recovery kit, so while I was waiting for New Egg's people to come into work (10 AM EST, 7 AM PST), I took the drive out and tried various ways to recover some of my data, especially the drawing I was working on yesterday and some of my notes for our requirements. I finally got an RMA from New Egg.

I had a tablet PC in my cubicle that I was using to review a software tech manual on. I assumed that since the tablet was big and clunky, that it was old. Turns out, it's a Pentium M 1.7 Ghz processor. We found a spare drive and I installed XP on it to get by for three or more weeks until my replacement laptop arrives.

For some reason, a lot of Windows updates won't install at work, so I brought the tablet home to install updates on my network. I often wonder when the day will come when bandwidth is such a limited commodity that I have to tell my employer "There is no way I'm using MY bandwidth to do YOUR work!" I hope the day never comes. May bandwidth always be cheap and seemingly limitless.

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments: