Friday, April 24, 2009

The Things Kids Say

I certainly don't want to bore any readers I have with family stories. At least, I don't want to bore you anymore than I already have. I just couldn't resist a quick post.

On Thursday nights, my wife has been going to a food auction. She's really starting to enjoy it and has gotten some good items at great prices. Last night was also Dave Ramsey's Town Hall for Hope, which I wanted to attend. Our church was hosting it, so I just went there. Since there are two of us and two children, we went 50/50. She took Joshua to the food auction and I took Caleb to church.

All of that is simply setup. On the way home, I got stuck behind a very slow car. I've lived in New Jersey about 10 years now. I don't fit in here in a lot of ways, but my aggressive driving is a perfect fit for this place. I get very frustrated when I'm stuck behind a slow car, especially when the driver seems to be totally clueless. It's even worse when the driver of the slow car speeds up and slows down and weaves back and forth in one lane.

I've always talked to other cars. I usually think I'm funny, but rarely does anybody else share in the amusement. Last night was no different, as I started mumbling "Can you drive any slower?" and "Wow, 25 in a 35, uphill! We're moving now!" Suddenly Caleb yelled "Hey, car, move it!" I told Caleb that the car can't hear him, so he yelled louder. I joined in and we went back and forth for a minute or two of G-rated comments about the other car's driving.

Then came the moment: "Hey, car, why aren't you listening to Daddy?" That was priceless. I get the feeling that Caleb is going to be a lot of fun to teach to drive in 13-14 years.

No comments: