Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Interested in Starting a Blog? Here Are The Best Beginner Tips I've Ever Read

I wish I could tell you I've paid more attention to Penelope Trunk over the years. Unfortunately, I haven't. I've read a few of her posts at one time or another, but I never really became one of her readers.

I followed a link to her site the other day, and started following links to posts she's made. While I was at it, I came across the absolute BEST guide to getting started at blogging that I've ever read. If you're interested in starting a blog, check this one out.

Penelope's main points are:

1. Ignore buzzwords.

2. Pick a topic — you can change it when you know what you're doing.

3. Spend two seconds choosing software.

4. Post something right now.

5. Practice, practice, practice.

6. Ignore your lack of readers.

Read the post for the rest of the details, then take her advice.

I think even where I'm at, there's plenty of room for her advice. I've been blogging for almost 5 years, and I've written over 600 posts, but I occasionally get discouraged by lack of readership and of course lack of "problogging". Penelope had some advice for that, which I'll link to in another post.

No comments: