Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Have A Wonderful Non-specific Cultural Observance

It's time for my annual "holiday" rant. This time of year drives me nuts. To be honest, if we decided to cancel the day called "Christmas" and just go back to work, I wouldn't complain much. I enjoy the day and it's traditions, but all this "Oh, I'm too much of a pansy to offend anybody so I'll just say have a nice holiday" stuff is REALLY getting on my nerves.

First off, kudos to K-mart for actually calling it Christmas in their advertising. I will be shopping at K-mart this year. In fact, I stopped there to buy Snow Buddies for my kids today. Then I found out I got the wrong thing and Christina really meant Santa Buddies. Doh! I'm glad my Sam's membership ran out. They really ticked me off with their commercial. Now, I don't have a problem with wrapping an entire period of time from say, Halloween to President's Day together and calling it the "Holiday Season", but the illogic of specifically referring to one day but being afraid to say it's name is ludicrous. It would be like saying that we can't call Labor Day Labor Day anymore, but we're still going to observe it. How stupid would that be?

I don't have a problem with people having a problem with Christmas. It doesn't bother me. But when stores depend on CHRISTMAS SHOPPING to survive another year, but are afraid to call it CHRISTMAS so they call it holiday, then I have a problem because I can't get my mind around the illogic.

No comments: