Friday, December 11, 2009

Is nook Really Dead on Arrival?

Techcrunch has a post stating that nook is the BlackBerry Storm of 2009. I'm not yet ready to decide I'm pulling for one device or the other, but as I've said in other posts, I don't necessarily agree with some criticism about nook. Every complaint mentioned in Techcrunch's post can easily be fixed with one software update. It's not that hard.

The question is, will Barnes & Noble issue said software update in a timely fashion? That's what I want to know. If B&N said they'd have an update out by the end of January, I'd probably want to run out and get one.

Tonight I'll be in the vicinity of the Deptford Barnes & Noble. If I can talk Christina into stopping in briefly, I might go in and try to play with the display unit. Sadly, although I follow the blogs of a lot of Kindle owners, I don't know anybody in "real life" with one, so I haven't had a chance to play with it either. My dad has a 1st generation Kindle, but he said it won't charge. He won't take any steps to look into warranty service either. He lives 2000 miles away in Texas anyway. Maybe I should tell him to send it to me and I'll look into getting it serviced.

No comments: