Sunday, December 27, 2009

This Is Why I Pay So Little Attention To The News

Here's an RT hitpiece on Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity. I believe RT stands for "Russia Today". Apparently, RT interviewed Bill Ayers, a known former terrorist and close associate of our current President. O'Reilly attempted to "no-spin" the whole thing, which resulted in motion sickness for most of his viewers. Hannity also devoted 4 minutes of one of his programs to this "non-issue".

I pay little attention to any of the mainstream media outlets. Considering how much time they spend on what amounts to hot air, I always wonder what they're not telling us. They seem to spend more time on celebrity affairs than they do on issues like the NAFTA Superhighway.

As for Bill Ayers comments, I agreed with one thing. Get your news from places like The Daily Show and The Onion. During my teenage years, I went through a period of time when I got my news almost entirely from Mad Magazine. I was amazingly current with the issues. To this day, I still prefer to get my news from satire, which at least amuses me while I'm getting current.






2 comments:

Mike Edwards said...

Excellent post and excellent point: Mainstream media has become more about entertainment than information. It's more about stating their opinion than stating the facts. And this is goes both left and right leaning outlets. Some will laugh at people who prefer to get their news from satire outlets, but The Daily Show, et al, isn't disgusting op/ed pieces as real news.

Eric S. Mueller said...

Exactly, Mike. Plus, a few year ago, a study showed that The Daily Show actually featured as much news content and actual "news" shows. Its editorializing was more amusing. I'm sure that Jon Stewart and I would probably fight in a pure political discussion, but he makes me laugh, and that's important.