Monday, January 11, 2010

Busy Is A Form Of Laziness?

I can't explain why, but the last week I've become obssessed with The Four Hour Work Week. If you haven't read the book, get it. I've listened to the audiobook 3 1/2 times in the last week. I guess I'm hoping something will click and I'll be on my way to not having to work in a cubicle and actually enjoying some time off.


This morning I was listening to the audiobook again while I was working on a requirements traceability matrix. Yeah, the audiobook was far more exciting than the work, but I did it to myself back in November.


While I was listening to the book, I heard something that made me jerk upright. I don't know if this was a qoute that Tim Ferriss wrote in the book himself or quoted somebody else. "Busy is a form of laziness."


We all know somebody who is always too busy to do something that should be important. I just ranted about a few such people last week, including one who's busyness got in the way of a job that should have been easy for me to get into.


What do you think? Do you agree or disagree? Have you ever hidden behind being busy to avoid doing something important? Do you know someone who always seems to be busy but you can't figure out what they're actually doing?

No comments: