Friday, January 01, 2010

For Such A Time As This

I had a thought recently. I was listening to one of the many podcasts I try to cram into a week. One of the guests claimed that he really should have lived during the American Revolution.

I can’t say, at least since my teen years, that I’ve ever thought I belonged somewhere else. At one point, probably because of a cheesy movie I rented one summer vacation before I had my driver’s license, that I might have enjoyed living in the 1950’s.

Not so anymore. I don’t claim any Biblical, like, Ester type prophesy about being born “for such a time as this”, but I definitely feel like I’m living in the correct era. Sure, we face all kinds of financial and political challenges that are, frankly, terrifying. But as an engineer and a computer geek, and as an amateur historian and philosopher, I think I’m living in the right time.

How ‘bout you? Do you belong in 2010? Or do you wish (or “feel like”) you should have lived in another time? Which time was it?

No comments: