Friday, March 19, 2010

Dice TV: 3 Questions To Ask In A Job Interview

Without a job, I finally have a chance to catch up on a few things. Going through some email I'd filed to get to "later", I found the following video from Dice.com:


I wish I'd come across this before. I've always done my best to be interactive during a job interview, but my questions usually revolved around benefits and career path. (NOTE: every company I've ever interviewed for lied to me about the career path.) Out of my last 3 jobs, I left 2 of them because there was no possible way to advance from the position I was in. Well, there was that once every 20 years when the moon aligns with a supervisor's retirement, but that was more than 15 years off.

Dice advises you to ask 3 questions:


  1. Why is this position vacant? (Or, why did the last person leave?)

  2. Can you describe what my first day, week, and month will be like?

  3. Can you describe the ideal candidate?


When I was hired for the job I lost yesterday, I made a big hit by asking my program manager and the regional Vice President the question: "What do you like about this company? What makes you get up every morning to come to work here?" 

No comments: