Thursday, March 18, 2010

Would You Pay for This?

I came up with a business idea. I posted the following ad on Craig's List. I was hoping to be able to provide what I considered a valuable service and to make some extra money without having to deliver pizzas or up sell french fries:

Computer Coaching Service

Do you want to do more with your computer but don't know how? Do you
think that you can't figure your computer out?


Do you wish that somebody would show you how to use your computer, but
don't want to pay for a long and expensive class?


I'm launching a new business service called The Computer Coach. I will
sit down with you at your home or at a location such as a coffee shop or
even office and patiently answer your questions about your computer and
it's uses. I'll show you how to get more out of your computer. That way
you can focus on doing things with it and enjoying it.


Prior to each session, you'll tell me what the focus should be on. Is it
about surfing the Internet? Is it about sharing photos or social
networks such as FaceBook or LinkedIn? Would you like to know how to get
the most out of your email program? Do you need to know how to get more
out of Microsoft Excel for work? Are you worried about viruses and need
somebody to help you choose the best security for your computer?


I will then prepare for the session to focus on what you need from it.
Then you can walk away more knowledgeable and confidence. You'll be able
to enjoy your computer and be more productive with it.


Rates are $30 for 1/2 hour and $50 for 1 hour.


I have been working with computers since the early 90's. I have a
Bachelor of Science degree in Information Technology, and have been
providing this service to family and friends for more than 10 years.


I am also available for tutoring in computer related classes.


If interested, contact me by email.

I've had 0 responses.

I've been told by several people that this is a great idea. But there is a huge difference between "Oh, yeah, that's awesome. People would totally pay for that" and "I'd like to schedule my first session. Do you take PayPal?"

Is this something that you, or somebody you know would pay for, or be interested in learning more about?

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I think the class is a decent idea, but you need to advertise it someplace other than online! Ha. Because your potential clients maybe can't even figure out how to get on Craig's List. Post flyers all over, especially retirement communities, etc. (I teach basic computer classes at my library--part of my job--not for extra money! ha. Those classes are free. But people, especially seniors, usually need a lot more help than we can give them q hour per week.)
Sherry