Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Josh Kaufman: Rethinking the MBA

If somebody told me they would pay all of my expenses for a few years so I could go to any school I wanted, I would go to Harvard Business School. I'd get an MBA. From Harvard.

But is a traditional MBA program, even Harvard's, the best way to learn business?

Josh Kaufman doesn't think so. He's the founder of The Personal MBA, a program I've followed (loosely) for a few years. Josh picks what he considers the best business books for you to read to give yourself a world class business education. If you join his site, he offers a tool for you to track the books you've read. The reading list is updated approximately every 2 years. So far I've read 8 of the 99 books chosen for the current reading list. I think I read a few more books from the 2005 and 2007 lists. Occasionally, I'll get a book that I'm sure HAS to be on the Personal MBA list, but isn't.

A quote from the blog post:

Here’s the TLDR summary of the research: getting an MBA essentially buys you a $150,000+ interview with a large consulting firm or investment bank, since it’s used as an HR screening criteria. (And as this recent article indicates, entry-level MBA positions are usually soul-sucking and often quite scammy.) For all other purposes, it’s a waste of time and money with a massive opportunity cost – there is absolutely no difference regarding long-term compensation, hiring, promotion, or job satisfaction between MBA-holders and business professionals that don’t have a degree. None.
Read more: http://personalmba.com/rethinking-the-mba/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+personalmba+%28The+Personal+MBA%29&utm_content=Google+Reader#ixzz0mJ07i9zE


No comments: