Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Last Barrier To Me Using Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer has come a long was over the years. Version 6 was one of the most insecure and painful web browsers I've ever used. I still can't believe some organizations (like the United States Navy) still use it exclusively. As in, they actually design websites that will not work in any other browser but Internet Explorer 6. This is despite the fact that Microsoft has released 2 newer versions of the browser, both of which work a lot better.

I've been using IE8 a little more lately. I actually like it. It starts VERY slow. It's one of the slower browsers to start. But once it's running, it runs pretty well. It finally has a session manager, so if I have a lot of tabs open and have to restart my computer, I can pick up where I left off. I don't have to set a lot of bookmarks.

But there is one thing that is stopping me from using Internet Explorer more than Google's Chrome or Mozilla's Firefox: this stupid dialog. I wrote that blog post more than 3 years ago, and that prompt is still a part of Internet Explorer.

If Microsoft could either get rid of that prompt, or at least let me click "Don't ever bother me with this again", I would probably make the jump to using IE8 a lot more often.

Are you using IE8 more than another browser?

No comments: