Saturday, May 28, 2011

Merchandising


One of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies is meeting Yogurt in Spaceballs. Lone Star and company meet Mel Brooks’ character, a spoof of Yoda from the Star Wars franchise. As if I need to explain that.
Lone Star asks “What is it you do here, Yogurt?” to which Yogurt replies “Moichendizing!” (That’s merchandising, of course). He then walks them through Spaceballs, the Lunch Box to Spaceballs, The Flamethower.

No doubt, poplar characters are merchandised to hell and back. There's a lot of money in merchandising, apparently. I came across and interesting video where people went to various stores with a video camera cataloging the plethora of Hannah Montana merchandise available. They hit Target, Walmart, a grocery store, Hobby Lobby, and a few others.

I'm not going to make any social commentary on this video. It would be easy to insert a kneejerk "This has gotten out of hand!" or other comments in that vein. I won't. The world is what it is. Complaining about trends like this isn't really useful. I simply find it interesting just how much merchandise is available of this popular character.

No comments: