Sunday, November 06, 2011

Documentary: Rick Steves’ Iran

I made a note a while back to watch this documentary. I have no idea how long ago it was. I was going through some of my tasks today, and found it.

The documentary is about 55 minutes long. It’s a cultural look at Iran. The only reason the camera crew was allowed to film by the government is because it was cultural, rather than political.

I enjoyed it. From every account I’ve ever heard, if we could get our politicians to shut the hell up for a few minutes, I believe we would have much in common with the citizens of Iran. By all accounts, they are very kind, friendly, and would make great neighbors.

I understand there are implications in geo-politics, but lets not forget, when the politics end, they are still people just like us. I enjoyed this, and I have to admit, I would love to visit Iran, land of thousands of years of history. Land of Cyrus the Great. Even after he conquered the Greeks (before the rise of Alexander) the Greeks called Cyrus a “just and worthy lawgiver”.

If you have a chance, watch this documentary.

No comments: