Thursday, November 29, 2012

Did You Get Your PowerBall Ticket?

I didn't. I don't bother with the lottery. I call it many things. A tax on misplaced hope. A tax on people who can't do math. A tax on people who don't understand probability.

Mark Dice put together a video of his commentary about people lining up for a 500 million Powerball jackpot. I guess I hope one of them gets it.


I won't be winning it. I don't play.

In all the research I've done on lottery winners, I have yet to find a single jackpot winner who ended up better off in life. Normally, somebody wins the lottery, and his or her life and family fall apart. People start jumping out of the woodwork at them. "My child has cancer. Can you please help me?" Then after so long, they start hiring a private investigator and find out none of them even have children. They're lying.

Their family and friends start to think they're not giving them their "fair share". They buy a big house in a fancy neighborhood, and don't fit in. The other people know they're not from there, and they resent them.

They find out real quick that the money, in fact, cannot buy happiness. They end up depressed, and often piss away what they haven't yet squandered on drugs.

And sooner or later, they end up broke, bankrupt, and worse off than they were before they bought the stupid lottery ticket.

I know what you're thinking. "It won't happen to me. I'LL BE SMART ABOUT IT!"

Right.

Sure.

Whether you win or lose (and the probability is heavily on the side of you losing), don't say I didn't try to warn you.

No comments: