Friday, November 23, 2012

Why I'm Pretty Much Through With Facebook

I've been slowly growing tired of FaceBook in particular and social media in general. I think of it as a bunch of people shouting in a large, crowded room, hoping somebody is listening and will shout back.

FaceBook in particular has taken inane topics to a whole new level.

I know, it's free. And when you're receiving a service for free, you're not the customer. You're the product. FaceBook needs to earn money. They're a business. Nobody goes into business to not make money.

FaceBook presents material to you in a way that will somehow make them money. And that's fine. We all agreed to the user terms of service and the privacy policy. But I'm reaching a point where my interests and FaceBook's are diverging. I'd simply like to follow people's (interesting) statuses. I don't really give a crap who likes who's photo. I don't care what new gardening tool people accessed in the newest game.

 
Every couple of days, I get one of those "Look what you've been missing by not being on Facebook!" notifications. And they do nothing to interest me in coming back. Look at this:

Ooh! Somebody liked somebody else's photo! I've been totally wasting my life not being on FaceBook. Does this work for anybody? When you haven't been on FaceBook for a couple of days and get one of these, do you think "Oh, no! Somebody liked somebody else's photo and I wasn't there! I wasn't there!"

I do check FaceBook once a week or so to see if any of my updates (from Twitter) were commented on. And as usual, I got lost in the noise. I'll get over it.

 

No comments: