Thursday, December 13, 2012

Making Things Awkward

A writer at Roosh's site "Return of Kings" shared an account of going to a party looking for single women. The writer began talking to a woman, who almost immediately said she had a boyfriend. The writer, realizing time spent talking to this boyfriend having woman was going to subtract from his goal, broke off, and was accused of making things awkward:


Early in the conversation, the dialog took a weird turn:
Tuthmosis: So, how do you know him anyway?
Girl: My boyfriend is Canadian.
Tuthmosis: OK, it was good knowing you. [smiling politely, waving, and starting to walk away]Girl: What? What do you mean?
Tuthmosis: You used the magic word. You were giving me a cue.
Girl: Yeah, but… [stammering]. Well, you didn’t have to make things awkward.
Tuthmosis: I could tell you the same thing.

I'm appreciating blogs in the "manosphere" (can we get a better word for it?) for this kind of analysis. I've been married 12 years and have no intention of changing that, but these kind of blogs help me understand my wife better.

So back to the story, I went through this quite a bit when I was single. I was hardly a "player". My wife was the second girlfriend I'd ever had. I was a serial LJBF (Lets Just Be Friends) to a lot of girls in my younger years. I never understood why. The writings of people like Roosh, Vox Day, Aaron Cleary, and others have given me a lot of insight..

It's almost interesting how a woman will blurt out that she has a boyfriend, yet still expect you to stand there and talk to her. This writer "Tuthmosis" decided not to play, and broke away from her to achieve his goal.

Apparently, the girl commented on this to several other people at the party. "Tuthmosis" explained his actions:

This girl made things awkward first, for me, by forcefully and transparently inserting her boyfriend into the conversation. It was obvious that that she was trying to prevent me from hitting on her, even though I’d made no obvious overtures. I merely bounced her awkwardness back at her—apparently to her great discomfort. 
So, let’s see if I have this straight: a man is somehow supposed to ‘play it cool’ when a girl eliminates the possibility of a romantic connection? Look around. There are at least a dozen cute, stylish, single chicks here. Yet, I’m supposed to continue to regale this girl with my stories, make her laugh with my jokes, and lavish her with validation, despite theconfirmed fact that I have zero chance of getting with her? She can use the social weapon of selectively withdrawing from part of the conversation, but I can’t?



No comments: