Sunday, December 30, 2012

My Audacious Goal

I wrote a blog post a couple weeks ago on stubbornness. I have a few other posts on correcting character flaws fermenting in my head (like short tempers). It got me thinking about my own character flaws, and whether it's possible to change any of them.

One problem I tend to have is utter and total cluelessness in gift giving. This has caused me a lot of trouble, especially in my marriage. My wife is a natural at giving gifts, but I'm completely lost, even when it comes to her.

I am defining this as a character flaw. And in 2013, I want to do something about it.

I want to become less of a self-centered, selfish prick, and more of a giving person. I want thinking of others to become natural to me.

For instance, a friend of mine had his retirment party last night. I showed up all right. I'm sure my presence was appreciated. But what did I bring? I brought the damn Christmas card I should have given him and his family more than 2 weeks ago. Last night was December 29th, a little bit off the mark for Christmas. It didn't even occur to me to get him a retirement card or something.

I don't know how to do it, but I'm determined to master this.


No comments: