Sunday, January 26, 2014

Repetitive Previews Destroy Movies

I'm not much of a moviegoer. I pretty much hate the movie theater experience. You pay $10 to sit through commercials and previews, and the other movie goers seem to always find a way to inconvenience you.

When I saw Skyfall with a friend (my last theater experience), we chose seats with a space between us. A child, apparently of the people behind us, came in halfway through the movie and sat right between us. Why?

For now, my living situation includes a limited cable package and no DVR or On Demand. This means when I want to watch television, I have no choice but to deal with commercials. Most are repetitive and annoying, and I can't get to the mute button fast enough because I've seen and heard them too many times. "Did you know that 15 minutes could save you 15% on car insurance?" "Yes, did you know that insurance companies are incapable of making a good commercial?"

Movie previews are some of the worst. Most, on first viewing, give me no reason to have any interest in the movie at all, and each subsequent viewing only makes me less interested. Oh, wonderful, this one has Meryl Streep AND Julia Roberts? No freaking way! Yeah, not watching.

There has been one recent exception: Monument Men. The preview actually makes me want to see the movie. I'll probably watch it once it gets to Netflix or Amazon. I hate theaters.

No comments: