Sunday, May 11, 2014

Social Media Is Getting To Be Too Much Work

I've been on Twitter since 2007 and Facebook since 2008. I was on social media since before anybody got the stupid idea to call themselves a "Social Media Consultant" and host "webinars" on it.

Since then, I've had accounts on most of the social media sites: Tumblr, Pinterest, MySpace, etc. I refuse to join some of the smaller ones that pop up from time to time, and I refuse to join Instagram.

Lately I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for keeping up with any of it. Recently, I installed the Twitter app on Netvibes, and tweets started showing up in my RSS feeds. That lasted for about Friday morning before I killed the app. Twitter sucks. I used to think it was cool, but keeping up on it is too much of a firehose. Plus the hashtags. Some tweets are nothing more than a collection of hashtags. They make no sense.

Facebook isn't much better. Often people come up with some interesting and witty political meme photos, then overplay them worse than Geico commercials. Often the same person will keep posting the same picture as if it's a rational debate. "Look, The Obamessiah with a silly bumper sticker sized political argument! You liberals sure look stupid now!"

(I recently came across a quote from the Russian Mad Monk, Grigory Rasputin, that said "The left are idiots and the right are fools." I consider myself to be neither.)

Anymore, when I do log onto Facebook, I go back about an hour or two in my timeline and decide it's too much work. Then I check on the latest statuses of a few friends who occasionally post interesting thoughts, close the tab, and move on to better things. I check Twitter a couple times a month to see if anybody sent me a message.

It's just not fun anymore.

No comments: