Tuesday, March 03, 2015

The Entry Level Home May Be A Thing of the Past

As I slowly start and stop in traffic through northern Virginia, I often wonder if the economy's biggest problem is a lack of McMansions. Everywhere I turn, I see "New Luxury Homes- from the $450's". I've wondered why we don't see smaller, less expensive homes anymore.

I've come to the conclusion I wouldn't want a McMansion even if I could afford the payments. All I really need is a workable kitchen, 3-4 bedrooms, and an office or library (search for my commentary on the idiotic "man cave"). I don't see a need for a living room, media room, game room, etc. Plus, do you know how much work it takes to keep a house that sized cleaned and maintained? If I'm ever wealthy enough, I'd rather have a real mansion with a staff to clean it and cut the grass.

Realtor.com has an article about the demise of the single family home. Apparently, land costs too much and most homebuyers wait until longer in life to buy a home.

I guess when I'm ready to buy another house, I'm going used.

Personally, I think Virginia needs more roads. Not more McMansion owners to clog the ones we already have.

No comments: