Thursday, May 21, 2015

Why Isn't The Whole Company "Comcast Cares"?


Like many others, I'm still stuck on Comcast. I pay them about $100 a month for basic cable, Internet and HD programming. I do not "feel" I'm getting $100 worth of value from this deal. My cable package contains tons of channels I never have and never will watch (BET), and few that I will.

On top of it, they keep adding some "Blast Plus" package with HBO, unauthorized, for an extra $25.

I mostly watch Netflix and Hulu on my Roku. My wife occasionally watches the cable channels, but mostly uses On Demand.

On nights like tonight, when I come home from a long day at work and a long drive home, I just want to watch Netflix or Hulu. And Comcast won't work. I ran an Internet Speed Test, and came out with a download speed of .03. My connection was so slow, I couldn't even load Comcast's page to pay my bill.

So I started ranting about it on Twitter.

Normally, when you have a bad experience with Comcast (is there a such thing as a good one?), an organization called "Comcast Cares" may contact you. They monitor social media. Sometimes they can help. In 2008, when I had this experience, Comcast Cares left a comment on my blog. I called them, and they sent a COMPETENT tech out to fix my problem, whereas the people at 1-800-COMCAST had no clue and the tech they sent was no better.

But that's what I want to know: why does Comcast need a separate business unit to "care"? Why isn't this part of the corporate culture and training? Comcast obviously knows they suck, but seems content to continue sucking, while throwing the occasional bone to disaffected customers through social media.

No comments: