Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day, everyone. I'm writing this post on my iPhone from my temporary headquarters in Williamsburg, Va. We're on a long awaited vacation.


We spent Saturday night in Virginia Beach. As we walked around, we stopped in a discount ticket store. I was wearing my yellow Navy T-shirt that I bought at Steve & Barry's. I was asked by one of the men there if I was in the Navy. I replied that I had been, and I work indirectly for the Navy. He wished me a happy Veteran's Day, and we had a discussion about getting them backwards. I admit I've done it myself. I use the two interchageably.


Later on, it hit me what the difference is. Both days do observe similar purposes. The best way I can put it is that on Veteran's Day we recognize those who served and made it back home. On Memorial Day, we honor those who didn't make it back.

Post a Comment