Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day, everyone. I'm writing this post on my iPhone from my temporary headquarters in Williamsburg, Va. We're on a long awaited vacation.


We spent Saturday night in Virginia Beach. As we walked around, we stopped in a discount ticket store. I was wearing my yellow Navy T-shirt that I bought at Steve & Barry's. I was asked by one of the men there if I was in the Navy. I replied that I had been, and I work indirectly for the Navy. He wished me a happy Veteran's Day, and we had a discussion about getting them backwards. I admit I've done it myself. I use the two interchageably.


Later on, it hit me what the difference is. Both days do observe similar purposes. The best way I can put it is that on Veteran's Day we recognize those who served and made it back home. On Memorial Day, we honor those who didn't make it back.

No comments: