Friday, December 18, 2009

Getting Things Done: Stuff You Don't Want To Deal With

I found a discussion on Linked-In about how to deal with the Getting Things Done productivity system when you can't do a Weekly Review. David Allen himself says that GTD doesn't work if you don't do the review. That's probably why it never worked for me. I've never been able to get myself to do the review.

David Allen weighed in on the discussion on Linked-In about how to handle things you don't want to deal with in a way that keeps them from cluttering your mind.

The WR is so necessary for most of us because our commitments don't
go away - they just hide from the conscious mind; and if you don't
create the windows to re-view them, they'll take more of your energy
than they deserve. If you have a bunch of crap you don't want to decide
about or deal with, just create a box with the label "Crap I Don't Want
to Deal With", put all that stuff in there, and walk free (play with
the baby, go to sleep, take Ma Jong lessons). You can avoid your life
and still have Mind Like Water! You'd just better make sure you relook
at what's in there as often you think you should, so you don't feel bad
about not dealing with it.

That's a brilliant idea. I think I might have to do that for a few things. What about you? Do you have anything you could throw in a "Stuff I don't want to deal with" box?

No comments: