Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Cutting The Tether to My Laptop

My laptop is useful, but with an iPhone and iPad, I've been wanting to do more without it. It would be nice to leave the house for a few days without having to bring my laptop with me.

I am finally staring to make some progress on this front. This blog post is being written on my iPad.

One of the biggest hurdles I've had to overcome is my dependence on iTunes. I have found a few workarounds. For one, Google Music. As I type this, my laptop is packed away and I'm listening to some Goo Goo Dolls through Google Music.

A larger hurdle is podcasting. I am really dependent on podcasts. I guess I could learn to live without them, but I'm able to keep up on some interests during the day while commuting and going between meetings. I recently came across Podcaster 3. I tried a similar product called Podcaster 4, but it only allowed listening at 1.5x normal speed, and it marked a podcast as read after only a few seconds when I decided to listen to another. Podcaster 3 doesn't do this, and allows listening at 2x speed.

I ran Podcaster 3 today. I especially like that I can update on the go, even on 3G. I'll try it for another day. The drawback is it won't work natively with my car's radio. The Kia Soul was built to work with the iPhone, which was a major selling point for me. But I can use an aux cable. I just can't fast forward through commercials with the stereo controls. I'll give it a few more days.

Now, if only the iPad could overcome the peripheral issue, and the Adobe Crash issue. If I could download files to a USB hard drive on my iPad, I would barely need a laptop anymore.

What about you? Have you broken the tether to your desktop or laptop in favor of a tablet type device? What tips do you have?

No comments: