Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Google Working On Heads-Up Display

According to the New York Times, Google is working on a Heads-Up Display (HUD). Supposedly, it'll be a pair of Android based glasses that give the user streaming access to email and other information.

I'm sure plenty of people will roll their eyes and mutter something like "people don't NEED something like that". I'm not sure what my opinion of the end product will be, but I'm excited about the development.

Computers have gotten really powerful, but the HCI (Human-Computer Interaction) barrier remains as limited as it did in the early days. No matter how much processing power the computer has, you can only communicate with it through the keyboard, mouse, and microphone. Maybe some specialty peripherals like a drawing pad. The computer can only communicate back to you through the monitor and speakers.

In the case of a smartphone or tablet, the HCI is a piece of glass. Also speakers and a microphone. That's it.

I've been looking forward to the breaking of the HCI barrier. I'm not sure what it will look like exactly. A hologram? A direct stream into your brain? That last one is not a joke. I've seen demos of products that allow you to control software with your thoughts. So far, all you can do is push or pull on a ball in three dimensions, but I'm sure this will improve over time and expand to be more powerful.

No comments: