Saturday, November 17, 2012

Skyfall

As I said in a quick post earlier today, I've never had much interest in James Bond. Turns out, I was wrong. I never reevaluated an impression that was formed early in my life. I simply allowed it to guide my decisions and preferences.

A friend invited me to see Skyfall. His wife recently gave birth to their first child, so I haven't seen him in a while. I figured some time to hang out would be good.

NOTE: I haven't exactly formulated much of this post. I am writing "by the seat of my pants", and am not responsible for you seeing any spoilers I may or may not put out.

I've learned there is a fan theory that James Bond is a job, not a person, which explains the different actors. I'm pretty sure this movie put that theory to bed. I won't say how.

One thing that stood out to me: James Bond is not the contemporary effeminate "metro-sexual" character. He has a leathery face and a permanent scowl. It's almost rare to see a masculine man in movies and TV shows today.

I guess I have to borrow some James Bond movies from my friend and get caught up.

This is the first movie I've seen in a theater since "Inglorious Basterds". When I was younger, I went to movies a lot. Now, it just doesn't seem worth it to pay $10 to sit in a crowded room and watch commercials. And the previews! They played more than 20 minutes of previews. Movie theaters used to play 3-5 previews. I think we saw more than 10. Really? AMC? Is that how much respect you have for the time of your paying customers? The theater seemed crowded enough to me. It's not like people only see one movie a year, so you have to cram every damn preview at them in one shot.

I can't wait until movie theaters go the way of Blockbuster in South Park's latest Halloween episode.

No comments: