Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Is An Extra Syllable Really That Hard?

It's amazing the lengths people will go to to shorten speech. Don't get me wrong, I'm a licensed Ham radio operator and am trained in military communications, so I get economy of speech. But you cross a line where you don't sound cool, you sound stupid.

A couple examples: for some reason, I like to watch the shows "The Next Food Network Star". I never bother to watch the show of the winner, but I like the competition for reasons I can't explain. There's a contestant on this year that goes by "Lovely". Her overarching theme is "glam". "I'm going to 'glam' it up" she says. Fortunately, the network execs have a similar reaction to mine: what the heck are you talking about?

When she first came on screen talking about "glam", I mumbled "are the extra two syllables in 'glamourous' really that hard?"

I don't think she's going to last through the competition. The other contestants say she comes off as fake. I agree.

Another idiotic shortening of a word that people are using now is "convo", for "conversation". Yes, those extra syllables are a killer! Whew, glad we were able to save ourselves all that work!

No comments: