Sunday, February 08, 2015

The Value of Advice

I have come to the conclusion that advice from other people is worth exactly as much time, effort, and money as they're willing to put into helping you follow it.

People are full of advice about what YOU should be doing. Most if it requires more money, energy, or commitment than you're capable of. Or maybe you don't give a crap, and it's easier to endure the suck than to work out of it for now.

Case in point: People are constantly telling me how I should take my ex-wife to court to sue for custody of my children, since I pay so much in alimony and child support. When I ask them how I'm supposed to pay for a lawyer and court fees, I get a blank stare, followed by something like "I don't know man, but you really should do it."

It's easy for people to offer advice in a vacuum. No matter how good or bad said advice might be, THEY aren't on the line for following it. But they somehow think they know what's best for you.

My advice: do what I do and blow it off. Or come back with something like "OK, you seem so insistent that I do this. How much would you like to contribute to my legal fund?" Bring up the PayPal or BitCoin app on your phone for effect. That usually shuts them up.

Then there are the people who ask you for advice, and argue with you about it. Or expect you to do all the work and make all the decisions for them. Then they ignore it.

I've reached the point where I don't usually bother offering advice unless I'm asked by somebody serious about following it. Also, it has to be an area where I have some knowledge or expertise in.


No comments: