Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Food Banks and Douchbaggery

I'm seeing quite a few posts on blogs I follow about food banks lately. As our economy tanks, more and more people need resources from food banks. Many are seeing lines form early in the morning, and run out of food.

When I lost my job in 2010, my ex-wife started getting food from a food bank since my unemployment check didn't come close to matching my salary. She overheard some people in line talking about how they'd hit every food bank in the area, then turn around and sell the food.

While I'm sure this isn't a representative sample of the entire food bank "industry", I'm certain those in the area of Jersey where I lived at the time are not the only ones visited by people who take a free product meant for needy people and then sell it.

A proverb I often use is "Never underestimate the capacity of people to be douchebags." If the economy does in fact tank, we'll probably see a lot more of this kind of thing.

No comments: