Tuesday, December 01, 2015

The iPad Pro Can't Replace a Laptop

I came across an article on Forbes comparing the iPad Pro to the iPad Air and a laptop. It's pretty much what I expected.

The iPad Pro hasn't excited me at this point. It's just a big iPad. Sure, it has some new features, but not enough to justify the expense for me.

I've tried a few times over the years to use a tablet or even a phone as a primary computer. And the experiment has failed every time. If I'm traveling, an iPad and phone will get most of the job done for about a week. But they lack file management. I usually come back with a pile of unprocessed email. If I need to download files or save attachments, I usually can't do them correctly on an iPad. I can't save things directly to OneDrive like I can on my Mac.

I heard several years ago that Apple was working toward a convergence, where you use the same OS with the same capabilities and applications on computer, iPhone, and iPad. They aren't even close yet. I think Microsoft got there first.

No comments: