Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Forth Dimensional Roving Void Strikes Again

Ever have something get lost, then for some reason, after a passage of time, inexplicably show up?

I call it the "Forth Dimensional Roving Void". It especially seems to like clothes dryers. You put 16 socks in a dryer, and get 15 back...

So in 2013, I had to move. I was going through a divorce. I had to move out of my temporary accommodations. I ended up moving in with my then girlfriend, now wife.

Somewhere during that move, my copy of what became my favorite book, The Fourth Turning, disappeared.

Over the last couple of years, I wondered what to do about it. Should I rebuy it? Then I lose all the notes I made in the book. Serves me right for buying a paperback to save money when the Kindle version cost more.

Then tonight, out of nowhere, I'm walking past a gym bag full of magazines from that move. And I see a paperback book in it. I pull the book out, and it's The Fourth Turning. I bought this house last July. I've been walking past that gym bag ever since.

All I can do is chalk it up to the Forth Dimensional Roving Void deciding to return my book after 2 1/2 years in, well, the void.

I normally don't worry when I lose something. It usually gets spit back out by the void eventually.

No comments: