Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Looks Like I Was Wrong

OK, there’s going to be a Verizon iPhone.
I’m still stuck with AT&T. I got my wife her iPhone 3GS in May of 2010, and I got my iPhone 4 in November of 2010. That means it’ll cost us a lot to get out of our contracts at this point.
So how did AT&T celebrate this announcement? Well, when I tried to check weather on my way home, I had 5 bars and a 3G connection, but couldn’t connect to anything.
At least my wife and I had a full call this evening without dropping. Must be a full moon or something.


So I’m stuck with AT&T for now. I’m not the only one. A TUAW (The Unofficial Apple Weblog) has a post about another person who is consciously choosing to remain with AT&T.
What are the advantages of jumping to Verizon?
  • Hopefully, their network will be ready to cope.
  • Totally unlimited data (I have this on AT&T, even with my iPhone 4, since I upgraded from a 3G with unlimited data)
  • Tethering, specifically, an iPhone can act as a wifi hotspot for up to 5 devices. That would be nice. I think AT&T offers a 2GB tethering plan for a ridiculous amount of money.
Disadvantages?
  • CDMA won’t allow simultaneous call and data. So you can’t surf or send email while you’re on hold. This feature is available on AT&T’s GSM network, which of course assumes a call connects or stays connected.
  • You’ll have to buy a new iPhone case. Apparently, the buttons are in different places.
I’ve seen tweets today about “maybe the competition will force AT&T to upgrade their network” and “Maybe all the whiners will leave for Verizon and give the faithful all the bandwidth.” I doubt it. AT&T sucks. I’ve been with Cingular/AT&T for a decade. I haven’t had a single problem with my connection on the iPhone that I didn’t have with all the phones I had previously to the iPhone. I’ve given up on hoping AT&T gets better. I hope Verizon gets that voice/data at the same time issue fixed by the time my AT&T contract is up.

No comments: