Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Two Minutes Hate- Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Hates Fat Chicks- And Why It Shouldn't Matter

This was supposed to be the inaugural edition of Two Minutes Hate, but it got stuck in draft and overtaken by a couple other posts.

I was browsing Facebook a few weeks ago, and saw below, which is something I never would have discovered on my own.

My first thought was "Wow, Ghost Hunter dude sure is mad about this." My second thought was "Why should anyone care?"

Those who have read Orwell's 1984 should be familiar  with the "Two Minutes Hate". From Wikipedia:

Within the book, the purpose of the Hate is said to satisfy the citizens' subdued feelings of angst and hatred from leading such a wretched, controlled existence. By re-directing these subconscious feelings away from the Oceanian government and toward external enemies (which likely do not even exist), the Party minimizes subversive thought and behavior.
I see a lot of "Two Minutes Hate" in society, and it seems to satisfy the need of some people to lash out at an object as they redirect their own frustrations from a perceived lack of control over their own lives. Others seem to do it as a form of parroting, because they're conditioned. Still others just love to gossip, and Two Minutes Hate is an easy way to get their fix.

Let's look at this objectively. The CEO of a pretentious, overpriced mall clothing outlet made some comments that he doesn't want fat chicks wearing his clothes. OK. That's something called his opinion. Other than verbally, does he stop them? Now, if he hired bouncers to throw fat chicks out of his stores, now we're entering territory that should seriously scare people.

I have an easy solution to this one: don't buy Abercrombie and Fitch clothing. I also put my money where my mouth is. I've never bought their clothing. I have nothing to be mad about. I'm overweight, he doesn't want me as a customer, I don't want to be his customer, and the free market reigns!

I don't quite get the mentality. Is it that whole "I can't have it, therefore I want it more"? Do fat chicks suddenly desire overpriced Abercrombie and Fitch clothing because the CEO doesn't want to sell it to them? It's like that South Park episode, "Cartmanland". Cartman makes a big deal out of "Kyle can't come!", and local businesses think it's the marketing of the century. "Welcome to our restaurant. YOU CAN'T EAT HERE!"

It's not like there aren't plenty of overpriced, pretentious clothing stores in the mall you could choose from besides Abercrombie and Fitch. So, fellow Oceanians, go forth and buy from one of them.

No comments: