Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Miley Circus and the Disney Starlet's Ritual Descent Into Slutdom

I paid as little attention as humanly possible to the Miley Circus thing. I keep hoping if I ignore this kind of stupid cultural stuff long enough maybe it will go away.

I'm content to give The Onion my attention though. I think they got it right:

"So, as managing editor of CNN.com, I want our readers to know this: All you are to us, and all you will ever be to us, are eyeballs. The more eyeballs on our content, the more cash we can ask for. Period. And if we’re able to get more eyeballs, that means I’ve done my job, which gets me congratulations from my bosses, which encourages me to put up even more stupid bullshit on the homepage."

Enjoy your news reporting, people. I'll stick with sites like The Onion.

Besides, what's so shocking about this? Yet another Disney princess goes through her slut phase. Brittney went through it, Christina Aguilera went through it. I guess the Olsen twins skipped it somehow or it was more low-key in their case. Or they weren't Disney. I can't be bothered to remember or look it up.

But seriously, I was expecting it. And I paid as much attention as I expected to. Don't believe me? Here's a post from 2011 where I embedded a video of people going around to chain stores filling shopping carts with Hannah Montana merchandise (one of each item in the store) just to show you how much there was. The video, edited, is 20 minutes and includes 3 or 4 stores.

No comments: